Forms of hosting solutions
A hosting service suggests storing and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server managed by a website hosting distributor. There are different categories of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a look at these. In that way, you can conclude what you want, based on whether you wish to have a blog, mail addresses, or to share files with comrades and partners.
- File hosting: a service supplied by some hosts, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans are frequently supported by exhibiting adverts beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a given span of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally twisted interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would apportion the load between autonomous hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (email, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific vendors provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting kind is appropriate if you would like to share a huge amount of images with comrades or associates since the service is usually free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to taking care of your electronic mail accounts. Some distributors offer site hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to manage an email address with your domain name but do not want to have a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can open email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video generates a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred site visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many video clips as you want without worrying about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to have a site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail aliases, upload video clips, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that permit you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse compared with the standard email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are planned for particular web content solely.